Frequently Asked Questions

1. Registration has started and I can’t seem to register. What might be the problem(s)?

You might have holds that prevent you from registering for classes. Please look at the note that appears on the screen. It could tell you what kind of hold you have and the phone number you need to contact in order to remove the hold. If you still have a question, please send email or visit the Office of Advising and Career Development.

2. What are pre-requisites?

Pre-requisites are courses that must be successfully completed with a ‘C’ or better prior to registering for the next sequential course. For example, EN 102 and COM 101 are pre-requisites for all upper division courses (courses numbered 300 and above).

All About Pre-Requisites

What are they?

Pre-requisites are courses that must be successfully completed with a ‘C’ or better prior to registering for the next sequential course. For example, EN 102 and COM 101 are pre-requisites for all upper division courses (courses number 300 and above).

How do I know if a course I’m taking is a pre-requisite?

Aside from EN 102 and COM 101 as pre-requisites for all upper division courses, pre-requisites are listed below the course descriptions in the General Catalog. See example below:

BU 324 Quantitative Methods in Business (3)

Each of the business disciplines uses quantitative information in its planning, operations, and performance evaluation. This course introduces students to a variety of methods and tools for using quantitative data effectively: linear programming, Bayes Decision Rules, forecasting, multiple regression, network models, utility measures and inventory models. Offered every semester. Prerequisites: MA 103, BU 224.

What happens if I don’t pass the course with a ‘C’ or better?

If that course is the only pre-requisite option and you are required to take the next sequential course, you will need to repeat the pre-requisite course and pass it with a ‘C’ or better before moving on.

What if I want to take a course, but have not taken the pre-requisite course?

It is highly recommended you successfully complete pre-requisite courses BEFORE taking the next sequential course because the pre-requisites help to prepare you for the rigor and content of the higher level course. However, if you can demonstrate the knowledge to fulfill the pre-requisites, you may get a Pre-Requisite Waiver form approved by the course instructor, Division Chair, and Associate Provost.

Can I take a course and its pre-requisite at the same time?

Although it is not recommended, it is possible to take a required course and its pre-requisite at the same time if the course instructor, Division Chair, and Associate Provost grant approval on a Pre-Requisite Waiver form.

3. What does “granted petition” mean?

You might see the message saying that a “granted petition is required” when you try to register for a certain course. Some courses are reserved for specific groups of students, such as incoming first year students, declared students in a certain major, or others. If it is a 100 level course, it often means it is a “learning community” class that is reserved for incoming first year students. Those classes generally won’t open up for others until mid to late August.If it is an upper division class, it might be a course reserved for majors at a certain point in their progress (such as BI-387, RE-490 or HI 494). The Instructor has to email the records office from his/her Chaminade email account granting you permission to be registered for that course.

4. I’m a senior, and a class I need to graduate is full. What do I do?

Every time we open registration for a term, seniors have a week in which they register first. If you register during that week, you should not have this problem. If a course you need does fill before you are able to register however, here are some suggestions:

  • Be sure to put yourself on the waiting list for the class.
  • Talk with your faculty advisor first to see what your options are.
  • There might be a chance to add seats in the class. Talk to advising and see if they can contact the instructor.
  • Look to see if the same course is available through the PACE program.
  • If the course is not available during the day or PACE term, discuss the situation with your faculty advisor to see if there is a possibility to substitute another course for the requirement.
  • Discuss with your faculty advisor the possibility of taking the course as Individualized Study.

5. When can I take a class as “individualized study”?

Individualized study is available to Juniors and Seniors (60 or more completed credits) or Graduate students who need a major requirement that is not being offered and is necessary in order for you to graduate in a timely manner.

6. I want to take more than 19 credits, how do I do that?

You need to fill out an Enrollment Overload Authorization form which is available through the academic advising office. The form will be sent for approvals before being sent to records. It’s important to note that you will be charged extra tuition for any credits over 19 for a fall or spring semester in the day program. Even if you end up dropping the course, the extra tuition will still be charged.

7. When is the latest I can register for a class?

The last day of regular registration for the fall or spring semester is generally the Sunday before classes begin. More precise information can be found in Academic Calendar which is included in the catalog or available on the Chaminade website.You can also add and drop courses during ADD/Drop period which is generally during the first week and a half for the fall and spring day semesters and during the first week for PACE semesters.However, for the day undergraduate summer term, you must be registered and paid in full the day before the term begins.

8. I am a day student and I want to register for PACE courses, what should I do?

For PACE fall and winter terms, day undergraduate students will be permitted to register on a space available basis on the day before the class begins. For PACE spring and summer terms, day undergraduate students can register at the same time as PACE students.Students must bring the “Day Undergraduate Student Registration for PACE Class form” completed to the PACE advisors located in Kieffer Hall. Immediate registration is permitted in PACE courses provided the undergraduate student is a graduating senior or requires classes for graduation or financial aid purposes.No enrollment of first year/sophomore undergraduate students will be permitted in on-line courses, except during the summer session. Enrollment of any other undergraduate students will follow the policy cited above.

9. I tried to register for a PACE course and got a message saying I can’t register, why is that?

In order for you to register for a PACE course, you need to fill out “the Day Undergraduate Student Registration for PACE Class form” and obtain our approval, then submit it to the PACE office which is located in Kieffer Hall.

10. I am a day undergraduate student. Can I withdraw from a day class in order to add a PACE class and still stay under the “overload”?

The overload means that you register for more than 19 credit hours per semester in the fall or spring.
The credit load for the day semester is based on the number of credits you are registered for at the end of day Add/Drop period. Withdrawing from a day class after the Add/Drop period of the day term but prior to the beginning of the PACE term will not prevent overload status. For example, if you registered for 18 credit hours at the end of day Add/Drop period in the fall semester, and withdrew from one course (3 credit hours) after the day Add/Drop period. Then, you register one course (3 credit hours) for the Fall PACE Programs in September. That creates overload as the credit load is counted as 21 credit hours including 18 credit hours of day undergraduate courses and 3 credit hours of a PACE course.

11. I want to withdraw from a class, what do I do?

In order to withdraw from a class, you MUST email or visit the records office in person. Your email must come from your Chaminade Student email account.However, there are many implications when withdrawing from a class.  Before you make your decision, learn more about withdrawing from a course.

12. It is after add/drop. Can I just withdraw from a course online/through the portal?

No. Once add/drop is over, you can not “drop” or “withdraw” from a class through the portal. You MUST withdraw by emailing or by visiting the records office in person. You need to include your ID number, your name and the specific class that you want to withdraw from.

13. The semester started weeks ago and I see a class on my schedule that I don’t think I ever registered for. What do I do?

Please email your academic advisor or visit the academic advising office. We need to know specifically what course and why you think you have not registered.

14. The semester started weeks ago and I don’t see a class on my schedule that I am attending. What do I do?

You must visit academic advising to discuss this situation. If the room is full and the course can’t fit any more students, we might not be able to get you registered. Academic advisors will seek approval from the instructor, the dean of the division, the Provost and the registrar to get you into the class. However, if there is an existing waiting list for the course, or if you have other registration issues such as holds or a need for pre-requisites, there is no guarantee that we can get you into the class.

15. I got a “D” in a class. Do I have to repeat it?

The information below will help you decide if you need to repeat a course that you did not do well in. Remember that this is just a GUIDE and you should speak to an advisor if you have any questions or concerns.

  • You must repeat a course if any of the following apply:
    • You receive an “F” in a course that is the only option to satisfy a general education, pre-major, or major requirement. Examples include: EN 101, EN 102, COM 101, etc.
    • You do not receive at least a “C” in a course that is a pre-requisite for a later required course. Examples include: EN 101, EN 102, COM 101, CH 203 and lab for Biology or Forensic Science majors, etc.
  • You may want to repeat a course if:
    • The course is not a pre-requisite course, but provides a strong foundation for your future.
  • You do not have to repeat a course if:
    • The course is elective credit and is not a pre-requisite for any other required courses.

16. When should I complete a graduation clearance with my faculty advisor?

A graduation clearance should be completed two semesters prior to your intended graduation.

17. What is the difference between graduation clearance and graduation petition?

Graduation clearance is an agreement between you, your faculty advisor, and the Records Office showing the courses needed to complete your degree. A graduation clearance should be completed two semesters prior to your graduation.

Graduation petition is the document that lets the school know your plans regarding attendance at commencement, and where to send your diploma and final payment of fees. Petition is completed during the semester in which you intend to graduate. The deadline is noted in Academic Calendar.  Academic Calendar can be found in the catalog and the Chaminade website.